I am a bit of a magpie; I am open to regarding everything as potentially useful, the work is always process based.
I originally trained as a dancer and a physical theatre actress and then moved into performance art and installation and public art practice.
Through all my recent work there are 3 constants:
- Collaboration – This is often with other art and non-art practitioners as well as the audience/visitors and the chosen place.
- Site-specific response – This has become key to developing my creative practice, the site / location is often the catalyst for the work.
- Performance – when I talk about performance I am not just referring to my role in the work but the performic nature of the events I create.
Recently they have become more like interventions, actions that cut through everyday life.
In order to explain transdisciplinary practice, we may suppose that the key role is played by the prefix. Trans hereby stands for across and beyond. In a way, that means that the transdisciplinary artist blends all the pieces of knowledge and skill together, and creates art that we cannot define through the canons that specify genres as we know them. Art that goes beyond genre does not reveal the elements from which it is made, and it is manifested as a homogeneous entity that exists independently; it goes across many disciplines, in order to reach a final destination.
Other things I do
- I cook well – I often use food and drink in my work
- I can drive – I have choreographed a series of works around cars
- I can cycle – I love my bike, but I am also really interested in creating travelling installations, stuff with wheels (see Palace intrusions and B-side Festival)
- I can organize parties – ‘special events’ anywhere for anyone with imagination
- I can sort out anyones wardrobe – what we choose to wear and when has always been a passion and has always been an important factor in my work
- I can redesign someone’s house – interior design could have been another career, but it became installation, objects and space and colour
- I can dance like a demon – all my past work has been body based the act of dancing can be very powerful
- I have been a life model since I was 17 – I can be totally still for up to an hour (see Still Life)